1.1 Rogues in WoW: Past, Present and Future
Past:(in progress) During Beta we were unstoppable, then we were slowly nerfed over the course of a year. Then BGs came out and we quickly discovered that once out of stealth we were easily the fastest class to die to focus fire and our role was slipping behind the front lines to kill half health eaters/drinkers or drop a clothie. The nerfing stopped at our class review. Then Cloak of Shadows came out and suddenly we had a way to kill that priest or warlock and actually live afterwards by wiping dots. It also helped survivability in BGs and Raids. Which brings us to today...
Present: World of Warcraft Client Patch 2.1.0 (05/22/2007)
The latest patch notes can always be found at http://worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/
The patch notes highlights from a rogue perspective:
- The amount of parry rating needed to get 1% parry has been reduced by 25%.
- Dodge Rating: Low level players now calculate dodge from dodge rating at the same rate as level 34 players.
- Added a new double-attack animation for Mutilate.
- Added a visual, sound, and combat log message when the Cheat Death talent saves the rogue from death.
- Blade Twisting: The delay on the daze effect has been reduced.
- Cloak of Shadows: The tooltip has been adjusted to indicate this ability removes hostile effects, rather than dispels them. Cloak of Shadows does not count as a dispel, and will not interact with dispel resistance or effects triggered by dispelling. This ability no longer removes the Weakened Soul debuff.
- Deadly Throw: This ability will now damage hunters and their pets when they are affected by The Beast Within or Bestial Wrath. Those targets will still be immune to the movement impairing portion of Deadly Throw.
- Fixed a data error that caused Ghostly Strike and Riposte to generate more threat than intended.
- Fixed a bug where the Silence effect on Garrote was getting resisted too often.
- Gouge: This ability will no longer trigger poisons (and thus break itself).
- Insignia of the Alliance/Horde and Medallion of the Alliance/Horde now remove Fear, Stun and Polymorph effects and no longer remove Charm effects.
- Improved Sap (Subtlety) renamed Dirty Tricks: Increases the range of your Sap and Blind abilities by 2/4 yards and reduces the energy cost of your Sap and Blind abilities by 25/50%.
- Increased the frequency and amount of Blinding Powder found in pickpocketed junk boxes.
- Mutilate: This ability will now always consume the Cold Blood buff when it strikes an opponent.
- Poisons: The difficulty of dispelling these is now based off the level of the player, not the level of the weapon the poison is applied to.
- Reduced the reagents required to create most poisons.
- Remorseless Attacks (Assassination): Hemorrhage added to the buff tooltip. This ability will no longer trigger from killing totems.
- Rogue poisons no longer have charges.
- Sap no longer removes you from stealth when used.
- Shadowstep (Subtlety): The cooldown has been reduced to 15 seconds.
- Stealth will now be broken correctly by damage shield such as Oil of Immolation.
- Surprise Attacks (Combat): This talent now correctly prevents Envenom from being dodged.
- Sword Specialization: This ability now grants extra yellow attacks instead of extra white attacks. This change will make Sword Specialization no longer reset the weapon swing timer when it triggers off special attacks, and results in a net increase in damage dealt.
- Frost Trap: This trap no longer breaks stealth from its slowing effect.
- Flare cooldown increased to 20 seconds, and duration reduced to 20 seconds.
- Power Infusion: This ability is now unuseable on Rogues or Warriors.
- Insignia of the Alliance/Horde and Medallion of the Alliance/Horde now remove Fear, Stun and Slowing effects and no longer remove Charm and Polymorph effects.
- In the Black Morass, gnomes are now able to run through the water like other races.
- Male gnome /cheer animation is no longer incomplete.
- The negative effect of the orc racial ability Blood Fury no longer stacks with other effects that reduce healing (Mortal Strike, Wounding Poison, etc.)
Future: So bright...I got to wear shades.